Purple Sound Recording Studios uses high quality professional equipment, ensuring that you get professional results.
At the heart pf Purple Sound is the Avid ICON D-Command console. The ICON console provides amazing flexibility, workflow and seemless integration with Pro Tools. Never before has a console provided this much power and flexibility within the Pro Tool environment.
The ICON console offers automation capabilities that surpass even the most advanced automation packages available with other consoles, plus additional features beyond those even offered in Pro Tools.
With full recall of every project parameter, ICON enables Purple Sound to switch out even the most complex sessions in mere seconds. The revolutionary Custom Faders feature allows Purple Sound engineers to manage hundreds of tracks and plug-ins, to stay in the 'sweet spot' and to gain unprecedented mixing control.
Digidesign Pro Tools HD 2 Accel
Purple Sound is equiped with
Avid Pro Tools HD 2 Accel
and the latest
Pro Tools HD 10.0
software running on an
eight core Apple Mac Pro
All audio is routed into and out of the system using
Digidesign 192 AD/DA convertors ensuring you get the highest possible sound quality that only a
Pro Tools HD rig can provide.
Serious professionals use Pro Tools|HD. No other digital audio workstation (DAW) is used more in top music studios, post-production and broadcast facilities, editing suites, and mobile production trucks worldwide.
With amazing sound quality, unmatched processing power, and great flexibility, Pro Tools|HD empowers Purple Sound to deliver top-quality productions efficiently and with ease, from first take to final mix.
Mic Pres, Analogue EQ's and Compressors
Neve 1073 Mic Pres
Purple Sound has the world-famous Class A Neve 1073 microphone preamplifiers. The 1073 is the mic preamp of choice for numerous leading producers and artists, delivering the unique Neve sound featured on some of the most famous recordings of the past 40 years. The big, punchy sound of the 1073 compliments any musical genre, from rock to pop, hip-hop to rap, thrash to classical. Its lush sound with classic Neve signature makes it the consummate mic pre for recording vocals, guitars, and acoustic instruments of all descriptions.
mic pres - The API 512c remains faithful to the circuit designs of API's founder, Saul Walker. Fully featured and still hand assembled, the 512c carefully preserves the original sound character that made it so much a part of the early days of recording.
We also use TLAudio
Classic Series Mic Pre's and compressors
all with valve signal paths to ensure your recordings have that "
sounds like a real record
High end TLAudio Classic gear is considered one of the boutique brands of audio equipment. Don Bartley (former mastering engineer of Studios 301, and responsible for the sounds you hear on many of Australia's charts hits) swears by his TLAudio gear. So you know you are getting the best of the best.
API 550B analogue EQ
Based on API's original 550 from the late '60s, the API 550b is a continuation of the EQ that played a major role in the history of music recording, but with an additional filter band and several new frequencies. Incorporating API's exclusive circuitry and proprietary components (such as the legendary API 2520 Op Amp), the 550b artfully blends the past with the present. So many hit records still depend on the unique 550 sound that engineers around the world find it to be an invaluable tool. In fact, the 550b design has been taken from the original blue prints and spec control drawings from the API archives. It is unlike any other EQ you will ever use.
API 525 Compressors
- Originally released in the 70's, the API 525 is a "feedback" type compressor. An input (threshold) control and output (make-up gain) control are provided, along with an additional "Ceiling" fine-tune function which can increase gain reduction (lower threshold) while simultaneously raising output level to match, so the user can alter dynamics "on the fly" without level changes. A compression/limit switch sets ratio at either 2:1 or 20:1. Attack time is as fast as 15u/s. Four auto release modes are offered via two switches, 0.1s, 0.5s, 1.5s, & 2.0s. A De-Ess function inserts an inverse vocal energy curve filter in the detector for effective sibilance/pop reduction. The 525 design has been taken from the original blue prints and spec control drawings from the API archives.
Purple Audio MC77 Compressor
- The MC77 recreates the audio circuitry of the revision E 1176, using modern components matched to the original. Beautiful on bass and vocals it imparts a warm & solid sheen on any audio that is lucky enough to pass through it.
Other Mic Pres, EQ's and Compressors include AML 5003 Mic Pre
, GA Pre73, GA Comp73, Phillips Multiband EQ's
Feeding the TLA outboard are
Rode and AKG mics
Our mic collection is constantly growing. Here's the current list of beauties we have:
- Rode NT2000
- Rode NT1000
- Rode NT4 Stereo Mic
- Rode NT1A
- AKG C3000
- Studio Projects C1
- Sony ECM-MS907
- Shure SM57 (x4)
- Shure SM58 (x3)
- Samson Drum Mic Pack
Cabling - The unseen hero
The cabling and multicores used throughout the studio are Mogami
professional cabling, all with Nuetrik
professional connectors. Audio professionals know the importance of high quality cabling and connectors when it comes to achieving professional results.
We have a total of 30 balanced channels of cable runs between the studio and control room. That means it is possible to have
up to 30 microphones for recording, should any of your recording projects require that many mics.
Each area of the studio has it's own
input patch facility with dedicated headphones output, so the studio floor is not riddled with metres of cabling which keeps things looking neat, increasing useable floor space and providing you with a clean, comfortable, safe and enjoyable environment from which to record your music.
There are also midi lines between the studio and control room for keyboards, drum triggers or anything else midi related.
A bit of trivia: The multicore used between the studio and the control room is the actual cable used in the 2006 World Cup in Germany.
Instruments and Amplifiers
As for instruments, we have a large range for your playing pleasure.
- Ibanez Jem - JEM77BFP - Steve Vai Signature Model - Blue Floral Pattern (Electric)
- Maton ECW80 Acoustic with AP5 pickups
- Yamaha RBX360 Bass guitar
- Fender Squire Strat
- Headway HE-303D (Electric)
- Aria (electric)
- Epiphone (Electric)
- Marshall JCM900 (pure valve) with matching 1960A Quad Box
- Laney TF700 with matching Laney Quad Box
- Orange Tiny Terror through another Laney Quad Box
- Kustom 60 wioth Celestion speaker
- Fender Rumble 100 bass amp
- Fender practice amp
- Premier Cabria PK drum kit (latest series) including the newly designed Roklok tom holder, improved double braced hardware by Pearl, double kick pedal and a huge selection of cymbals from Meinl, Zildjin and Sabian cymbals including splashes and chinas.
- There's even a beautiful set of chimes ready to tinkle with.
- Line 6 PodXT Pro (allows you to create and record any guitar sound imaginable)
- Roland Fantom Xa
- Roland RS9
- Yamaha Clavonica - Full Size Electric Piano (complete with foot sustain pedals).
Other outboard gear includes
- Aphex 204 Aural Exciter and Optical Big Bottom
- Digidesign Midi
- Digidesign Sync
- Tascam DA45-HR DAT machine
- P16M Personal Monitoring System - This allows you to have full control over your headphone mix when you are performing. Need more of your voice through your headphones? Need less drums? It's as simple as reaching out and turning a knob. Each band member can tailor a headphone mix to their personal taste while recording. Brilliant!
- UAD 2 Duo with Classic pack as well as Lexicon 224 reverb, Manley Massive Passive, Little Labs Voice of God (VOG),
- Waves SSL (Solid State Logic)
- TL Drum Rehab
- Bomb Factory Plugins
- DigiRack Plugins
- Pro Tools HD Bundle
- Garritan Personal Orchestra
- Celemony Melodyne Pitch Correction
- Antares Autotune
- Adam P33-A Near/Midfield Monitors
- Extreme Isolation Headphones EX-29
- Headphones x 8
Percussion and other fun stuff
- We also have a variety of percussion instruments such as shakers, tamborines, chimes, wood blocks plus capo's and slides for your guitar playing pleasure.
Studio Acoustics and Construction
All walls are
double studded, isolated and treated with acoustic insulation. Door entries are
double solid core doors, and the viewing window is
double isolated saftey glass angled to enhance the acoustics of the rooms and to reduce reflections.
Professional diffusion and absorbtion panels
are used throughout the studio.
Some more trivia: The acoustic panels are a deep purple colour; this is where the studio got its name.
Master quality CDR's
We record your CD masters onto professional quality CDR's, ensuring playback compatibility on a wide variety of playback devices. All CDR's are professionally printed and presented in a durable CD jewel slimline case.